In case you were sleeping (which most of us were), Apple held an event called 'Spring Loaded' early Wednesday morning.
With every Apple event, you can expect the tech giant to announce some new toys and features.
And boy, the 'Spring Loaded' event was loaded with a bunch of new toys that we can't wait to get our hands on.
The biggest product reveals include a tracking device called AirTags
, a brand new iMac
and also, a brand new iPad Pro
We will get to those in a second. Here are some of the things Apple announced during the event:
Now, before you get the wrong idea, this is not a new iPhone; they usually reveal the new generation of iPhones in September. This time around, Apple announced that the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini are getting a new colour option: purple. The new purple-coloured iPhones will come in 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB models starting at RM3,899 for the iPhone 12 and RM3,399 for the iPhone 12 Mini.
Apple has built their very own Music, TV and gaming ecosystem, and now they're turning their attention to podcasts. Apple announced that they will be revamping their Podcast app, and with it comes Apple Podcasts® Subscriptions, an Apple Arcade-like subscription service but for podcasts. Subscribers will get access to a host of premium services such as ad-free listening, access to additional content, and early or exclusive access to new series. According to Apple, the subscription service will be available in over 170 countries and regions in May.
Next Generation Apple TV 4K
The Apple TV is a great little device, and Apple has just made it better with the next gen Apple TV 4K. With an all new design, Apple has made it easier to access your favourite TV shows and movies through your iDevices. Here's what you can expect from the new Apple TV 4K:
- It's now powered by the more powerful A12 Bionic Chip, which means a significant boost in graphics performance, video decoding, and audio processing
- It now comes with tvOS®, which Apple claims is the most powerful TV system. This would ensure that Apple TV 4K works seamlessly with Apple devices
- They have also redesigned the Apple TV Remote, which now features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy, and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes
- You can use your iPhone to calibrate the picture on screen by placing its front-facing camera near the TV, and Apple TV 4K will automatically optimise its own colour and contrast output
- The Apple TV 4K will retail for RM849
It's time to refresh 'em iMacs, and Apple has done just that. The new iMacs are now slimmer, more powerful and even more colourful. The new iMac is just 11.5 millimetres thin, but yet, Apple managed to pack everything into that compact design. Here's what the new iMacs can do:
- It's now powered by the M1 chip first introduced in its Macbooks last year
- iMac features a 24-inch 4.5K Retina® display with 11.3 million pixels, 500 nits of brightness, and over a billion colours
- The new iMac is now also equipped with a 1080p FaceTime camera for all those Zoom meetings
- The iMac now comes in green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver. However, do note that some colours are only available for more expensive models
- The iMac with 7-core GPU starts at RM5,599 and RM5,379 for education, while the iMac with 8-core GPU starts at RM6,449 and RM6,019 for education
New iPad Pro
The iPad Pro is Apple's most powerful tablet, and now they've made it even more powerful. The new iPad Pro will now also run Apple's M1 chipset, and that, according to the company, will boost performance by another 50 per cent compared to the older iPad Pro. Here are some other highlights:
- The 12.9-inch iPad Pro features a new Liquid Retina XDR™ display that brings extreme dynamic range to iPad Pro, with 1,000 nits of full-screen brightness or 1,600 nits of peak brightness
- The tablet is also 5G-enabled, so you can expect faster connection when that technology comes to Malaysia eventually
- The new iPad Pro now has a built-in storage of 2TB with 16GB of RAM
- The Magic Keyboard®, which offers a comfortable typing experience with backlit keys, an integrated trackpad, and its floating design, now comes in a gorgeous new colour: white
- There's also a new feature in the iPad Pro called 'Center Stage', where the camera will automatically keep your face in the center of the screen during FaceTime calls, even when you're moving around the room
- The 11-inch iPad Pro starts at RM3,499 for the Wi-Fi model and RM4,149 for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model, and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at RM4,799 for the Wi-Fi model and RM5,449 for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model
Now, the biggest announcement of the event: a brand new Apple product called the AirTags. In a nutshell, the AirTag is a small and elegantly designed accessory that helps you keep track of and find the items that matter most with Apple’s Find My app. If you always lose your car keys, just hang an AirTag on it and if you misplace them, you can use your phone to make it beep so you can easily find it. Here are some of the highlights:
- The AirTag is lightweight but solid, as it is made with precision-etched polished stainless steel
- Each AirTag is equipped with the Apple-designed U1 chip using Ultra Wideband technology, enabling Precision Finding for iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 user
- It has a built-in speaker that emits a beep when you press a button on the Find My app
- If the AirTag is separated from its owner and out of Bluetooth range, the Find My network can help track it down. The Find My network is approaching a billion Apple devices and can detect Bluetooth signals from a lost AirTag and relay the location back to its owner
- Users can also place AirTag into Lost Mode and be notified when it is in range or has been located by the vast Find My network. If a lost AirTag is found by someone, they can tap it using their iPhone or any NFC-capable device and be taken to a website that will display a contact phone number for the owner
- According to Apple, the battery on the AirTag can last up to a year, and get this: you can replace the battery yourself!
- The AirTag is customisable, so you can engrave your favourite quote, or even everyone's favourite emoji: 💩
- AirTag will be available in one pack for RM149
So, what do you guys think of Apple's refreshed gadgets and new products?
Got your eyes set on something? Head on over to Apple Malaysia's website
for more information.