If you're an avid book reader, one of the best things that could happen to you (besides getting your acceptance letter to Hogwarts) is to see your favourite novel getting adapted into a movie.
While some adaptations have been a miss, we have a really good feeling that 'The Garden Of Evening Mists' will not be one of them.
Written by Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng, the novel follows protagonist Teoh Yun Ling, who was a prisoner of the Japanese during the World War II. Later, she served as an apprentice to a Japanese gardener named Nakamura Aritomo in Cameron Highlands, and she soon finds herself entangled in a forbidden love affair.
'The Garden Of Evening Mists' was awarded the Man Asian Literary Prize and the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction, as well as being shortlisted for the Booker Prize.
The movie adaptation of the novel, meanwhile, will be released in Malaysian cinemas on 16 January 2020
Directed by award-winning director Tom Lin, the movie stars an all-star ensemble cast comprising of Malaysian actress Sinje Lee ('The Eye'), Japanese actor Hiroshi Abe ('After The Storm'), Taiwanese actress Sylvia Chang ('Love Education'), British actor David Oakes ('Cold Skin'), Julian Sands ('The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'), Scottish actor John Hannah ('The Mummy') and Singaporean actress Tan Kheng Hua ('Crazy Rich Asians'), to name a few.
And just like its novel counterpart, 'The Garden Of Evening Mists' has also won numerous international awards, such as the ‘Best Make Up & Costume Design’ category at the 56th Golden Horse Award, as well as gracing several international film festivals like the 24th Busan International Film Festival (BIFF).
In conjunction with the release of 'The Garden Of Evening Mists', we have some very exclusive prize for you to win: a copy of 'The Garden of Evening Mists' novel autographed by Tan Twan Eng himself
All you have to do to win a copy of the novel is to answer two simple questions and complete the slogan as creatively as possible below:
Winners will be notified via e-mail on 14 January
. Remember to check the Spam folder, okay?
Terms and Conditions:
- Closing date: 13 January 2019.
- This contest is open to residents of Malaysia only.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entertained. The publisher reserves the right to replace the prizes published here with other prizes of equivalent value and the redemption of said prizes are up to the publisher's discretion.
- Winners will be notified via email/mail/phone.
- Details provided will become the property of MEASAT Broadcast Network Systems Sdn Bhd and may be used for future marketing purposes.
- Click here to read the privacy notice.