It's like a movie we've seen a thousand times before.
A day after a new set of standard operationg procedures (SOPs) was announced, the authorities would make a U-turn and replace it with another set of usually more confusing SOPs.
New SOPs for petrol stations
In yet another confusing twist, Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob has decided that petrol station patrons do not need to register with the MySejahtera app if they just wanted to refuel their vehicle, Malay Mail
He said during his daily press briefing on Tuesday (10 November) that the National Security Council confirmed that MySejahtera registration was not necessary for patrons who pay for their fuel directly at the pumps using their credit card or through the cashier’s window.
Patrons only need to register if they want to enter the convenience store - or use the station's toilet.
“For individuals making payments or transactions within the store of the fuel station, whether for fuel, other purchases, or to make ATM withdrawals, they are required to register either with MySejahtera or manually,” he was quoted as saying.
On top of that, Ismail Sabri also released a list of confusing SOPs when it comes to petrol stations:
Don't need to register:
- If you want to use the petrol station's facilities such as toilets or prayer rooms
- If you want to patronise the repair and service workshops integrated with the petrol station
- If you want to use the petrol station's car wash services (register if payment must be made inside the store, don't need to register if it is automated)
- If you're paying for fuel directly at the pump
- If you're paying for fuel using the pigeon hole at the counter
- If you want to use the petrol station's air pumps to inflate your vehicles' tyres
Ismail Sabri's statement contradicts the police's recent directives, insisting that all petrol station patrons must register with the MySejahtera app, even if they're paying at the pumps.
Let's hope that these are the confirmed SOPs, because all these U-turns and flip flops are exhausting.