Remember when it was time for bed, your parents would burn one or two mosquito coils and put it around the house to protect everyone from those pesky insects?
Well, it turns out those things that were supposed to ‘protect’ you might just end up killing you, just like the mosquitos.
According to a study, burning a single mosquito coil can produce PM2.5 fine particles, which is equivalent to lighting up between 75 to 137 cigarettes.
A mind-blowing discovery
reported that the study, conducted by Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia’s Science and Medical Faculty, concluded that mosquito coils are actually harmful to health.
The study shows that 17.6 per cent of people living in the suburbs in the East Coast use mosquito coils and 23.2 per cent in the rural areas still do too.
As for those in the Klang Valley area, it was found that 7.1 per cent and 10.8 per cent of people in communities in Kuala Lumpur and Hulu Langat use it respectively.
“Studies indicate that burning the mosquito coil for three days in a row increases the risk of asthma and shortness of breath.”
“And children aged between 7 to 11 years old who have been exposed to it for seven days are at risk of developing severe phlegm and obstructive and restrictive lung functions.”
Based on the findings, researches urged to end the use of mosquito coils and use environment-friendly products, which are less harmful to your health.
Such a shocking discovery, we’ve been oblivious to since our childhood, right?
Do you or your families back in your hometown still use mosquito coils? If so, it’s time to put a stop to it.