The Malaysia Airlines Drama: Who, What, Where, When And How

All you need to know about the high altitude drama

  • Share:

The Malaysia Airlines Drama: Who, What, Where, When And How
Image: Twitter/Flight Alerts

On Wednesday, a Malaysia Airlines flight heading back to Kuala Lumpur was forced to make a turn back after man allegedly tried to force his way into the cockpit while threatening to blow the plane up.

Here's all you need to know about the entire drama:

When did it happen?

Malaysia Airlines flight MH128 had just departed Melbourne airport at around 11.11pm Australian time when the man reportedly started acting up, according to a report by Australian news portal

An eyewitness reportedly told the news portal that 10 minutes into the flight, the man allegedly stood up from his seat and started creating a huge ruckus.
“We literally took off, 10 minutes into the take off, and I was sitting in business class 4A seat, and I could hear this idiot saying that he wanted to go in and see the pilot.

“The staff were saying ‘sit back down sir, sit back down sir’.

“He goes, ‘no, I’m not going to sit back down – I’m going to blow the plane up’," the eyewitness reportedly told the news portal.

What actually happened?

According to a report by UK website Metro, the man, said to be drunk, allegedly demanded to see the captain of the plane.

He reportedly managed to make his way to the front of the plane, holding a plastic bag with a suspicious-looking device in it, eyewitnesses told the news portal.

He then allegedly claimed that he has explosives with him and threatened to "blow the plane up". 

The man was reportedly holding an electronic device in his hand, a passenger told Metro.

The passenger added that the cabin crew quickly jumped into action and tried to subdue the man. In the end, it reportedly took 11 passengers and crew members to tackle the man.

The passengers then reportedly jumped on the man and restrained him with a plastic handcuff. 
  The altercation forced the captain to make a turn back to the Melbourne airport.

When the plane touched down on the tarmac at around 11.41pm, armed police personnel reportedly stormed the plane almost an hour later and detained the man.

Authorities later revealed that no explosives were found on the man, and he was reportedly just holding a powerbank.

According to an official statement from Malaysia Airlines, Flight MH128 was "at no point was the aircraft ‘hijacked".

The airlines also added that affected passengers will be accomodated at hotels and will be given a seat on the next flight out.

Who is that man?

According to news site The Australian, the 25-year-old man is reportedly a Sri Lankan national in Australia on a student visa.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews told the news portal that the man is a chef in training, and he reportedly has a history of mental illnesses.
Meanwhile, also reported that the man was just released from a psychiatric facility on Tuesday.

Victoria Police chief commissioner Graham Ashton told the news portal that the suspect, who was a voluntary patient at the facility, bought a flight ticket and boarded the plane a day after he was released.

According to the portal, the man now faces multiple charges with penalties of up to 10 years’ jail for each offence if found guilty.

  • Share:


Related Articles

Back to top