An Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be imposed on two townships in Simpang Renggam, Kluang, Johor starting midnight today.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that the townships involved were Kampung Dato' Ibrahim Majid and Bandar Baharu Dato' Ibrahim Majid.
"The Ministry of Health has confirmed that there have been 83 positive COVID 19 cases in Kluang," he said adding that 61 cases were from the two mentioned townships.
He said that taking into account the spike in cases, the Government has decided to impose an EMCO for the said areas.
The EMCO will involve 3,570 residents from 650 families.
"This order will take effect from midnight tonight - 27 March 2020 to 9 April 2020.
"The reason for the EMCO is to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from out of the area," he said adding that it will also allow for authorities to conduct case-by-case detection in the area.
Regulations under the EMCO
With the execution of the EMCO:
- All local residents and visitors to the area will be barred from leaving their homes throughout the 14-day period.
- Non residents and visitors will not be allowed to enter both the areas.
- All trade activity will be temporarily stopped.
- Basic food will be supplied to all residents for 14 days by the Welfare Department.
- A medical base will be set up in the area.
- All entry points into the area will be closed.
- To ensure that everyone adheres to the EMCO, police officials, army officials, the Civil Defence Force (APM) and RELA officials will be stationed in the area.
"All residents are called to remain calm and cooperate with officials from the MOH," he said in a statement.
Those who require help or have questions pertaining the EMCO can call 07-7735224 / 07-7722434.