While Malaysia is seeing an excellent improvement in COVID-19 cases, the World Health Organisation announced that the pandemic is now in a “new and dangerous phase”.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has urged nations and citizens to remain extremely cautious with this new development, AFP reported.
Tedros said more than 150,000 new cases of COVID-19 were reported to the WHO on June 19 alone, which is the most number of cases in a single day so far.
“The world is in a new and dangerous phase. Many people are understandably fed up with being at home. Countries are understandably eager to open up their societies and economies."
“But the virus is still spreading fast, it’s still deadly and most people are still susceptible,” he said, with the most vulnerable set to suffer the worst.
Be on the alert
WHO emergencies director Mike Ryan said countries needed to be on alert for a second wave of infection and a second peak within the first wave if it is not properly suppressed.
“You may have a second peak within your first wave, and then you may have a second wave: it’s not either or,” he said.
He added that exiting lockdowns must be done carefully.
Aren’t we glad Malaysian authorities and health officials are doing a great job at containing the virus here!